Do you ever wonder if you’ll ever recover? Do you sometimes despair of the roller-coaster ride?
If you do, then you’re normal. It is what we all go through when we’ve been traumatized, and experienced betrayal.
What should you expect when you’re trying to recover?
- Triggers happen all the time, and they happen unexpectedly.
- You’ll have flashbacks, broken sleep and anxiety attacks.
- You will lose your motivation and your zest for life.
- You will cry and feel depressed a lot of the time.
- You will feel you’ve lost your smile, and your sense of humour.
- You might feel like you are starting to be yourself again – and then you have a meltdown, and you’re back at ground zero.
- You’ll have powerful thoughts and feelings that will shock and frighten you.
- You will feel ashamed of your feelings and reactions.
- You will constantly wish that you could put the past behind you.
- You will long for the days when life was simple, good and happy.
- You will feel mad as Hell for the way that you were treated, and for the way that it has damaged and wounded you.
- You will have low self-esteem … and then rebound and feel indignant … and demand that you’re respected, and are valued in the future.
- You will find it hard to trust, and believe in love again.
- You will feel sick and tired of this roller-coaster ride
It’s a long and painful journey that never seems to end. You think you’re getting better – and then you find you’re triggered.
But eventually you’ll notice that there is some kind of progress. It’s tentative and fragile. But, still, it gives you hope.